The Climbing Wall Instructor was formally known as the Climbing Wall Award. The scheme is for climbers who are in a position of responsibility when supervising climbing activities on indoor or outdoor climbing walls, artificial boulders and towers. It is primarily concerned with ensuring good practice, leading to the safe enjoyment of climbing activities, and to an understanding of the sport. It covers the supervision and management of activities such as bouldering, the teaching of basic movement skills and roped climbing, excluding the teaching of leading.
Before attending a Climbing Wall Instructor training course you need to have the minimum experience and the following pre-requisites:
- Aged 17 or over.
- 6 Months personal climbing experience.
- Membership with the British Mountaineering Council and registered for the Climbing Wall Award scheme with Mountain Training.
- Climbed on artificial walls on at least fifteen occasions and visited at least 3 different walls.
- Have led 10 indoor climbs at grade Fr4.
Training Course Dates:
1-2nd May 2021 (Craggy Island and White Spider)
5-6th June 2021 (Green Spider & 2nd venue TBC)
26-27th June 2021 (Craggy Island and White Spider)
18-19th September 2021 (Craggy Island and White Spider)
27-28th September 2021 (Parthian and Boulder Shack)
15-16th November 2021 (Parthian and Boulder Shack)
27-28th November 2021 (Craggy Island and White Spider)
10-11th January 2022 (Craggy Island and White Spider)
12-13th February 2022 (Parthian and Boulder Shack)
Further dates to be confirmed and additional courses can also be arranged with a minimum of 4 candidates.
Cost £130 per person + wall entry fees
Consolidation Period (recommended minimum of 6 months)
The consolidation period is an important time to use the skills learnt on the training course and prepare for assessment. Before presenting yourselve for assessment, firstly ensure you feel confident with your level of experience and have at least done the following:
- You must be at least 18 years old.
- You must have attended a Climbing Wall Instructor (or Climbing Wall Award) training course or have been granted exemption from training.
- You must be familiar with the syllabus.
- You must have logged a minimum of 30 visits to at least three different climbing walls.
- You must have led a minimum of 40 climbs on climbing walls.
- You must be confident at leading routes at Fr 4.
- You must have assisted in the supervision of at least 15 instructed sessions on at least two different walls including a large public facility in a variety of contexts. At least five of these sessions must have personal reflective comments recorded on DLOG.
- You must hold a current first aid qualification, relevant to your work as a Climbing Wall Instructor.
Assessment Course Dates:
29th May 2021 at White Spider
18th December 2021 at White Spider
Further dates to be confirmed and additional course can also be arranged with a minimum of 2 candidates.
Cost £95 per person + wall entry fees
“Ellis Bird provided a fantastic CWA course over two days at two different venues. Great detail to the training, covering some interesting aspects to instruction that I had not considered before. It was really good to be shown how to do things in a proper manner instead of how I would have done things myself. I particularly valued the 1 to 1 time with Ellis as it gave opportunity to reflect over the course and what I as an individual should look to improve and work in before assessment and offered some useful advice as to what I should be aiming to get done before my assessment.
Thank you very much, could not have asked for more!”